What we believe:
Reaching out in faith,
Trinity is a worshipping, welcoming community
which seeks and teaches the way of Jesus.
In 1925, when union with the Methodists and Congregationalists occurred, the name was changed to Trinity United Church. At about the same time the church was relocated to Shaughnessy Street. For a long time Trinity was part of a two-point pastoral charge - shared with the United Church in Pitt Meadows. It became a single pastoral charge about 1960.
From the top left (to right):
- Presbyterian Church of Westminster Landing (1904-1908)
- Sketch of the new Trinity United at Prairie & Shaughnessy (1966, by Peter Wengel)
- Trinity United Church in 1925 (formerly St. Andrews Presbyterian - 1908-1924)
- Trinity United Church in 2000 from Shaughnessy St..
- The main entrance in 2014 after a new canopy and colour scheme.
In 1966, our congregation moved to the north side of Port Coquitlam. It was a daring move, as the corner of Shaughnessy Street & Prairie Avenue was pretty much surrounded by bush. Since then at least three additions have been built onto the church. The kitchen was expanded, the preschool area added on, and the office and Thrift wing was added in the mid-1990s. With so much activity going on, even today we continue to be pressed for space.
Some of our past ministers were:
- 1954 - 1960 - Rev. Wesley R. B. Nixon
- 1960 - 1966 - Rev. Art Griffin
- 1966 - 1969 - Rev. Stan Dowling
- 1969 - 1981 - Rev. Don Jackson
- 1981 - 2002 - Rev. Wilf Carson
- 2002 - 2004 - Rev. Mollie Williams - interim minister
- 2004 - 2008 - Rev. Brenda Faust
- 2009 - 2014 - Rev. Brian Burke
- 2014 - Current - Rev. David Cathcart
In 1991-92 we enjoyed a one-year ministerial exchange between the Rev. Wilf Carson of our Church and the Rev. Rob Ferguson and family from the Methodist Church of New Zealand. The congregation greatly appreciated the different perspectives brought by Rev. Ferguson as well as those brought to us by our own Minister on his return.
Helping Seniors and Low Income Families:
Trinity has always been a community-orientated church. In the 1980s we participated in a self-examination process called “Vitalization” - looking at who we were as a congregation and establishing priorities. As a result of this process, affordable housing emerged as a priority. Trinity had property behind the church buildings that was not being used. Eventually the land was officially severed and Stewart House was built on the banks of the Coquitlam River. It is a 31-unit low-income, subsidized housing project with management provided by Trinity people.
Women of Trinity:
Women's organizations have been a vital part of the church over the years. In the early years there were two official groups, the Women's Auxiliary and the Women's Missionary Society. In 1962 these two groups were officially amalgamated into The United Church Women (UCW). Among the many lasting UCW projects is the Thrift Shop, which started in 1965 as a once a month sale. Thrift is now open twice a week throughout most of the year. Trinity has never stood still.
In 1999, a neighbouring church in downtown PoCo was condemned when an underground river started undermining the foundation. When we heard that the parishioners of St. Catherine's of Alexandria Anglican needed a new place to worship, we invited them to share our premises. We still enjoy sharing our worship space and fellowship with them.
In 2002, with the retirement of our minister of 21 years, Trinity decided to enter into Intentional Interim Ministry to complete the transition. Rev. Mollie Williams spent two years with us, helping us to establish who we are and where we want to go, to better guide us in the subsequent call of a long-term minister.
Trinity United Church continues to be a religious, social, and uniting force in our community.